Formerly known as "Etoquits".
hamlet is located in the east of the faubourg du Quesnoy, on the little space
between the Sambre river and Mormal Forest. In former times, this hamlet was
covered with grass and small trees which were called "étoques" and which gave
their name to this place. Thanks to a lot of different and precious resources (water,
fish, wood, game...), Les Etoquies hamlet was one of the first part of
Landrecies to be settled and inhabited permanently. For example, this is where
the lord Gossuin of Avesnes built a dungeon in 1096.