The old powder store (1140) and the statue of Ernest Amas (1991)


What is called 'la poudrière' (the powder store) by Landrecians today is actually the only remaining part of the castle that was built by Nicolas of Avesnes in 1140 (cf history, II). Since then, it has been renovated a couple of times. In front of the powder store, a little square has been recently created for old people, who can go there from their nearby residence and enjoy a sunny afternoon. In the middle of the square, a statue of Ernest Amas has been erected. This work by a young artist named Patrice Beaupuy was inaugurated on October 20th 1991, as a tribute to this Landrecian painter who was born and who died in Landrecies.