The public park
and the "monument of 27 Ventôse an III" (1899)
In the peaceful shade of its chesnut trees, the
public park is the only green area of the town. And moreover it's not very old,
since the first trees were planted at the beginning of the 20th century. In
summer, the park becomes a great place if you feel like having a walk or
relaxing on the bank of the nearby river. In autumn, the children of Landrecies
have fun by trying to collect as many chestnuts as possible among the fallen
In the middle of the park a monument, known as
the monument of 27 Ventôse an III, was erected at the end of the
19th century. This marble column had been promised by the French government in
1794 because of the heroic behavior of the locals during the siege of 1794.
Actually it was only inaugurated on August 13th 1899, and it was paid by the
town ! On the front face of the monument, the numerous dates of Landrecian
sieges have been written, from 1185 down to 1870.