On October 27th 1918 the war was coming to an
end, but Landrecies was still occupied by German forces. Among some Landrecians,
rumor had it that German soldiers may force all the town population to evacuate
before English troops got there. During the mass on the following sunday,
Landrecians solemnly pledged themselves to build a religious monument if it
didn't happen. Although the town was mostly destroyed during its liberation on
November 4th, its population wasn't evacuated. That's why this beautiful calvary
was built and inaugurated in 1923.